Pro DQ’d after hole for rangefinder use at European Q school
We love golf for its quirky stories, its underdog wins, its ability to make the best bad and the amateur look graceful, and the hardships endured on the path to a better game.
In terms of enduring difficulty, golfers at qualifying schools around the world know the ins and outs. Money is a tricky subject. Some of these guys are literally getting ready for their dinners at qualifying events in the Best Tours grind.
This game and its rules are sometimes difficult:
Blake Abercrombie paid €2,000 for Euro Q-school registration fees. Flew to Denmark from the US and played a holeshot.
He used a rangefinder on the first hole, which is not allowed at the Euro Q school and was disqualified.
A hole of $5,000. Ouch.
— Monday Q Info (@acaseofthegolf1) September 27, 2022
Blake Abercrombie has a heartbreaking story from the start of this week at the DP World Tour qualifying event in Denmark. According @MondayQInfo, Blake shelled out quite a bit of money to fly to Denmark from the United States and then another €2,000 for his competition entry fee. He warmed up, walked to the first tee, made a drive in the middle and grabbed his rangefinder to measure his approach to the first.
He was later disqualified.
According to the rules and regulations of the DP Qualifying Tour, devices that measure distance must not be used. Whether this rule needs to be changed is now in question. The first hole at Lyngbygaard Golf Club, Braband, Denmark, is estimated to have cost Mr Abercrombie around $4,000. Ouch.
Cover image via Golf Influence
- Pro DQ’d after hole for rangefinder use at European Q school – October 1, 2022
- Pro Shoots 52 On The Back 9 at Alfred Dunhill Links! – September 30, 2022
- Bryson v Rope – The rematch – September 28, 2022
- Spieth makes history with 5 perfect points at Quail Hollow – September 25, 2022
- Klara Spilkova wins the KPMG Irish Open in spectacular fashion! – September 25, 2022
- Friday recap: Americans take matters into their own hands at Quail Hollow – September 25, 2022
- Immelman closes Greg Norman’s Presidents Cup – September 23, 2022
- LIV Golfers Send Joint Letter to OWGR President Pleading for Ranking Points – September 20, 2022
- Pat Perez pockets another $900,000 with 31st finish at LIV Golf Chicago – September 19, 2022
- REPORT: Mickelson Considering Dropping LIV Lawsuit? – September 16, 2022
Show all posts